Saturday, January 19, 2008

Busy Days...

Argh! It's been busy around my house this week.

Friday, MiniWarrior turned 10

*sniffle*

Where oh where has my baby gone?!

Gone are the days when he smiled and napped half the day away.

They are replaced with sassing, eye rolls and the pre-teen record player bleating of "Mommmmmmmmmm, can I have...."

*sigh*

Just when I think he's grown up past the little boy who owns my soul he comes running to me, clutching his beloved stuffed cat, Butterscotch.

"Mommmm, Butterscotch is hurt! She has a tear in her skin!"

His lower lip trembles and he thrusts her out to me with pleading eyes.

"Can you fix her?"

He sits anxiously watching me while I sew Butterscotch back up.

"It's Ok, Butterscotch, Mom will make you all better." He croons, stroking the matted fur on her leg.

"Poor poor Butterscotch, do the stitches hurt you?"

"Aww, don't cry Butterscotch, it's almost over..." He pats her tummy intently watching each stab of the sewing needle.

I patch a couple of places worn from little boy hands rubbing her fur seeking comfort.

MiniWarrior holds her tight and carrys her upstairs to his room after the surgery.

"There there, Butterscotch. You're all better now..." he murmers softly.

I watch him leave with Mom tears looming.

I am keenly aware that these moments are fast becoming rare and soon will disappear all together.




8 comments:

Sultan said...

Joyous birthday wishes to your son

Sue said...

Awh... *tears up*.

Hey... wait a minute.. that's MY crazed lunatic 'I've got chocolate!" look!!! hahahahahahah I have a shirt with a picture of the Hershey Bar that says "You never forget your first love."

(((((Hugs))))) You needed more.

The Darker Side said...

Aw MommaKat.............the baby turned DOUBLE DIGITS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! An auspicious occasion indeed!
JUst so you know - there is, I have found, no age limit to our offspring finding comfort in stuffed toys. Number One Daughter is 16.5 and those poor "puffys" (Puffalump Bunnies - one given her by each aunt on my side) - are STILL her "chicken soup for the soul".... She "squiggles" them (rubs the nylon between her thumb and forefinger) to get to sleep....

Anonymous said...

Awwww..... Bob-a-roo tears were flowing too!!!

Happy Birthday MiniWarrior!!

Haphazardkat said...

Laochie: :) thank you

Cindy: *borrows a tissue* :)*hugsss!*

LaChanson: LOL! he never liked candy--this past couple of months he has suddenly fallen upon chocolate as his new form of drug! *grin* thanks for the hug!! *sniffles*

Dragon: I hope he never outgrows the deeply sweet side of him :) *scritches!*

Bob-a-roo: *sigh* can you believe he's 10??? You know what his being in double digits means, dontcha? it means i'm officially ....OLD!! *criessss*

aafrica said...

aww ... what a sweet boy. happy birthday MiniWarrior! and welcome to the double-digits age!

you should tell your mom to cut down the sugar for you.

eyes_only4him said...

Happy B-day to the big guy..

I know the feeling, my oldest will be 11 on St Pattys Day...time does fly..

I just love tha last pic..

Haphazardkat said...

Aafrica: my brother sent him those candy bars. :| makes note to kill sibling :P

FlipFlop: Are you as emotional about your kid turning 11 and I am??! Argh. I'm such a sap.