Monday, February 12, 2007

Ghost Stories, Continued

In order to relieve my mind from operation "Fix-a-Fang" (scheduled for tomorrow--*gulp*) I thought I'd write about another Ghostly experience from my past.

Shortly after I graduated from College, I went to work as a Nanny to a 3 month old baby girl. It was one of those "gotta get a job to pay for new apartment and necessities like FOOD and GAS", jobs that I ended up staying at for 3 years.

The childs home was located in a prestigious neighborhood of Minnesota. The parents were upwordly moving Yuppies who drove BMW's and filled their white washed double decker house with Wedgewood, Berber carpets and a neurotic Golden Retriever.

Money and affluence, I've learned, does not protect one from tragedy. The Father of the child had lost his little sister in a sledding accident in Switzerland when she was 12. His parents (who lived in a Mansion along side their private lake) had an oil painting of her above their marble fireplace. The child, whom I was a nanny to, resembled the dead sister...eerily so.

When I would put the child down for a mid morning nap, I would often times lay on the sofa located outside her nursery and catch a quick kat nap, myself. I discovered, after my first attempt to kat nap, that I must put the neurotic golden retriever downstairs in the Den or he would pace the kitchen and annoy the heck out of me with the clacking of his toenails on the tile floor.

One such kat nap morning, I had locked neurotic dog downstairs, placing the child gate at the top of the stairs so he couldn't escape, then lay down on the sofa. I turned on my side, facing the sofa back and was just drifting off to sleep when I felt warm breath on my neck followed by a firm nudge on my shoulder blade. I moaned sleepily and told the dog to leave me alone. I lay there for a few seconds then heard a panting and more breath on my neck. I rolled over to admonish the dog for escaping from downstairs and saw...nothing.

No dog.

I swung my legs off the sofa and sat pondering this strangeness, feeling my heartbeat start to speed up. I called out to the dog and heard him whine from the top of the stairs in the kitchen. My palms became sweaty and I crept slowly to the kitchen. The neurotic dog stared at me plaintively from behind the child gate at the top of the stairs.

What had been breathing on me?

What the hell had nudged me?

Strangeness, I tell you. Eerie strangeness.

13 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe ghosts are just a case of the nervous system transmitting the wrong signals.

Haphazardkat said...

Loofa: Could be. Drifting off into half sleep my brain might have played some weird flashback trick on me.
Maybe my ghosts name was Deja Vu? hehehe

Anonymous said...

Was the baby awake, inside the room? Because if she was, maybe it was (her) dead aunt, nudging you awake to let you know!

Or maybe the dog was faster than you gave it credit for?

Either way, I loved the story!

aafrica said...

eeek! it is spooky when they tap your shoulders when you are not expecting. but i still don't think they mean harm.

Intensely said...

Hey Kat, found my way here via Aafrica.

I was told that these sensations are a recognized biological phenomenon termed "hypnagogia" or "hypnopompia" (sp) depending on whether they occur while you fall asleep or wake up. I have had similar experiences (sensing a presence vividly that disappears when I wake up). But personally, I prefer the spooky ghost story explanations :-)

Anonymous said...

Hope your operation went well!

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentines Day kitten!!
No wonder the dog was "neurotic" maybe there was another 'pet' in the house.

Haphazardkat said...

Kay: I had just put the baby down for her nap. I was probably delirious from lack of sleep myself.

Haphazardkat said...

Aafrica: I swear, if that was a common occurance (the tapping I mean) I'd be in a nut house :|

Haphazardkat said...

Intensely: I like your explanation!! MUCH less freaky!

Haphazardkat said...

Loofa: Thank you :)

Haphazardkat said...

Bob: Other then the loss of tooth the procedure was completely painless! The price tag of 2800 AFTER insurance was pretty painful though, lol.

I must try the soup recipe--specially now that I have to eat soft foods for awhile.

Haphazardkat said...

Jadey: happy Valentines day to you too! I wondered about the dog being such a basket case--I wondered if he could sense things in that house..*shudder*