Sunday, February 04, 2007

In The Mind of Autism

MiniWarrior is not as diabled in speech as this Autistic lady is in the video. However, he frames his sentences in a collage of pictures so it's confusing at times to what he exactly means.

Once you understand that he sees words in his head as pictures instead of individual alphabetical letters...you suddenly see in to the window of his beautiful mind.

This movie, created by an Autistic adult and translated in the end of the movie by her own words typed into a speech translator program has deeply moved me and made me understand a little bit more the magical being that is, MiniWarrior--my son.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnylM1hI2jc

When I watched this next video, I was reminded of MiniWarrior sitting bravely on the stand in a courtroom being questioned by a Judge to determine if he was competent. If he knew what a truth and a lie was.
He was asked by the Judge, "If I said I was wearing a black robe, would that be a truth or a lie?"

MiniWarrior studied him carefully. He asked politely if he could stand up in order to see the Judge better.

After a few minutes of quiet deliberation, MiniWarrior said, "It would be a lie."

Why did MiniWarrior say this? Because the collar of the Judge's robe was White. So, therefore it was not a BLACK robe. He was not asked to explain. He was referred to by the Defense attorney as retarded and incompetent. The Judge agreed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qn70gPukdtY&NR

I wish I could show this video to the Judge and the (may she rot in hell) defense attorney.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Amazing.
Going back to watch others

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing these. It's interesting to try perceiving the world as others do, especially when that way of seeing the world is so different from our own. It takes an open mind to try seeing things differently, and to try understanding others.

Haphazardkat said...

Jadey: I was so fascinated by the deep insight that was coming from this lady :)

Loofa: It made me feel ashamed that I was so shocked at the intelligence this Lady has. I didn't realize that even though I am raising an special needs child, I was boxing people by the way they looked.

Anonymous said...

The justice system is rarely just, I'm afraid.

Someday, they'll get theirs. I promise.

Haphazardkat said...

Kay: 'tis the one time I hope Karma pays them back in triplicate ;)

aafrica said...

Kat, you are such a wonderful mother!

Haphazardkat said...

Aafrica: Thank you :) I sincerely hope so...