Wednesday, March 14, 2007

A Writer's Creed

I wrote this awhile back and have it posted where I can read it to myself every day.
It is my writer's creed to myself.

Fledgling

In my minds eye I created a dream.
With the tap of my fingers on charcoal colored keys I give it life.
Composed, compiled, nestled in an orange mailing envelope, I will give it wings.

Fear is not acceptable. It will no longer be tolerated. Today I break the vines that I have allowed to grow unchecked and have all but smothered me with their growth.

Today I say, I will no longer sit on the side of life and dream.
Today I will start the birthing process to another life. To the life I was meant to live.
A beginning of the person I was created to be; a speck of energy in this vast dark world. I will spin and force a gravitational pull of my own.

When I was 18, I read a book that changed my life. Louis L'Amour, "The Walking Drum". A writers seed was born that day. It lay inside me burying its roots deep into my soul. I walked the back trail of the college and whispered a loud the first breath of the dream. "I wish to be a writer"

This wish has never changed. It only grows stronger as the years pass. It lies like a cancer inside me; eating at me. Demanding I put my hands to use and spill out the words trapped inside me. It is no longer a choice. In order to live I have to write. It has become the single thought of my life.

HaphazardKat
Copyright 2007 © All Rights Reserved.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is a good creed to be reminded of.

Haphazardkat said...

Loofa: Part of the joy of blogging is the shared passion of writing. :)

Bob: You are a Sweetheart :) How can I help but be successful with friends like you standing behind me?

aafrica said...

that's very inspiring. and you are a fine writer. i've enjoyed every thing you have posted. you must share more of your stories.

Haphazardkat said...

Aafrica: Thank you. You are most kind :) I love your stories, too. You have such a gift of writing so the reader feels as if they are actually there experiencing it.
I will try and dredge up another story out of my memory box soon. Right now I'm busy cleaning my house and yard for company!! Ugh. I'm. Sore.