Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Book Goodness!

Last year, when I was going through an extremely stressful time, someone dear to me took to reading out loud to me while I relaxed on the sofa.
One of his books of choice was Florence King's "Confessions of a Failed Southern Lady"

We laughed til our sides ached at times during a period when I thought it not possible to laugh.

The other day, I lumbered over to the used bookstore, around the corner from my work, and pawed through their .35 cent book section that they had displayed outside their store.

I came across a slightly battered copy of another Florence King book, "When Sisterhood Was In Flower". Remembering the enjoyment of her previous book, I snapped it up and happily plunked my .35 cents down on the store counter.

I was not to be disappointed. Florence had taken a normally dry subject ( the feminism movement during the early 1970's) and had flipped it upside down and spun it in a web of absolute hilarity to her readers.

She recalls a time in her life when she became a sort of hostage by a radical feminist neighbor when the wall that separated their apartments crashed down from after shocks of a bomb explosion. Their two apartments became one and was soon filled with a neurotic cat and a hippy waif that they had found curled up in a cement mixer:

"When we came to the dumpy part of the beach, we found an abandoned cement mixer lying on the sand. Childlike, we peered into the ball, but instead of the nothing we expected, we found the something nobody ever expects: a dead body.

It was a white female, approximately twenty-five years old. My fingers automatically tapped out the familiar words on an imaginary stenotype machine. Polly misinterpreted my gesture.

"Stay calm. You must stay calm; otherwise the newspapers will say "the hysterical women who discovered the body." They always say that, just like they always say "the women passengers screamed" when they write about a skyjacking. Do some breathing exercises and then we'll go for the police. Ready? And one, and two, and thr--'

We both screamed. The corpse had moved."

If you happen across a Florence King book in your travels, pick it up and give it a try. I guarentee you won't be disappointed.

8 comments:

Sultan said...

Thanks for the tip. It is always cool to find new books.

Hawn Smith said...

I believe one of my teachers told about Florence King, or could have been about a King of Florence, either way, Florence was defintely the title. It's nice when events create thought.

Anonymous said...

My wife is the BIG reader here. I'll pass your tip along.

Did you know there is a published writer in Spaces? Wife just finished reading her book and declared it GREAT!

http://cantgitsngoutmyhead.spaces.live.com/

You might want to check it out!

aafrica said...

i must look into that. there is never too much laughter.

Haphazardkat said...

Laoch: It is! Even when we can no longer recline in our houses due to the volume of books! :)

King: This might be considered a womans book by some--but her humor spans the gender divide :D. Try it!

Bob: I'll have to check that site out!

Aafrica: I usually devour books in a short space of time. This is a slim novel and I've managed to make it last over several days. She is just too funny to zoom through her writing.

Anonymous said...

OMG I just read "saturday ruminations" You & I have so much in common with the childhood LOL! I used to scare the crap out of the guys with taking them for a ride or racing them with my camaro :D

Anonymous said...

Wow - this woman I just HAVE to read - she sounds awesome.
I read a biography a few years ago that you might like.....Patricia Heaton is her name and the book is "Motherhood and Hollywood: How to Get a Job Like Mine" - full of wit and irony and just one giggle after another!
Hugs
the Dragon

Haphazardkat said...

Jadey: Hehehehe. I now have the song "Wild Thing!" Stuck in my head! :D

Dragonlady: You will LOVE this book! I'm on the last few pages. I've forced myself to slow down and only read little bits at a time. I hate for it to end! *scritches!*