Monday, April 16, 2007

Project Grrrrrr

I have a little 3 speed Schwinn bicycle that I picked up for 20 dollars last year.
Great little bike, however its tires were old and decaying.

I have been trying to get a hold of the local bike shop, from where I purchased the bike, to set an appointment to get new tires put on but they aren't answering their phone.

So. Last night I decided that I could change the tires on my bike.

Project GRRRR Phase One:

I took the measurement numbers off my old tires.
Drove to Walmart and purchased two new kevlar tires at Walmart helpers advice.
Size 26.
I pointed out that the measurement numbers I had pulled off my old tires was 26 1 3/8.
I was grazed with a patronizing look and given a "Honey, 26 will fit".
Ok...
Purchased two inner tubes for inside of Kevlar tires.
Purchased Bike tool thingie to help me put on new tires.
Purchased Chain grease.
Wandered around Walmart for &%$! hours trying to find dispenser for chain grease.
Apparently no one sells that anymore...
Packed up truck and headed home with new purchases.

Project Grrrrr Phase Two:

Flipped bike upside down.
Took out new bike tool thingie and wrestled with bolt thingies holding tire on frame.
They wouldn't budge.
Cursed.
Tried again.
Cursed.
Lumbered off to laundry room/storage room and pawed through crap.
Found slightly rusted can of WD40.
Sprayed bolt thingies on bike with WD40.
Grunted.
Strained.
Cursed.
Grabbed small sledge hammer by wood pile and tapped tool thingie on %$@! bolt thingie.
Walla!
Stood looking down at wheeless bike with poofed out chest in girlie pride.
Pried off old tire with plastic wheel remover thingies on tool thingie.
Wow. Those things work pretty darn good!
Opened new tire.

Project Grrrr Phase Three:

Spent next %$#! hour trying to wrestle new tire over bike rim.
Cursed.
Tried again.
Cursed.
Realized that "Honey, 26 will fit" was a damn lie.
Cursed.
Put new tires into truck to take back to %$#! Walmart.
Cursed.
Stomped off to search "installing bicycle tires" on Internet.
Discovered that 26 1 .75 (size of new tires) is (in mystical bike math) 4 inches SMALLER than
26 1 3/8
Cursed.

7 comments:

Sultan said...

What an adorable feline!

Anonymous said...

GRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!



Do you IM? I'm pretty shy about it - but sometimes...

Haphazardkat said...

Laoch: feline with tiny claws!

Jadey: I do IM but it's hard to catch me most times as I work long days. I can check my email at work though. Email me! :D katscratchings@yahoo.com
*hugssss*

Anonymous said...

Ya know??? When I read the title of your post, I knew that I would be in for a HUGE laugh!! As usual, you didn't disappoint!! ROFLMFAO!!!! Maybe you should try the bike shop again..... I've never understood why the sizes on tires, and many other things can't be just a little more standardized! Oh Yeah!! So they can sell more and have the Wal-Mart guy say "Honey, 26 will fit"!! Hope you don't have the same problem with your new motorcycle!

Gonna read this again now cause I really need another laugh!! sorry.....

Haphazardkat said...

Bob: Help! This project is turning into a nightmare!!

Anonymous said...

Hiya Haphazard Kat, it's Mrs. Serious. K...first rule of thumb...NEVER trust anyone from Walmart! It's all about sales and turnover baby! LOL..really got a chuckle from your blog, dang girl, you should be writing a book! Guess you get what you pay for. By the way, I have a bike for sale (j/k...lol)!

Haphazardkat said...

Mrs Serious: HA HA HA HA HA! May your tires remain. Firm.
Firm is good. Firm is great.
Firm we all appreciate! HOO WAHH!
...its late...i'm tired. :D