Friday, October 20, 2006

A Domino In Motion

A single act of compassion is like tipping the first Domino in the intricately constructed maze of life.
The Amish community’s compassionate response to the murderer's family set the Domino play in motion with a CLICK that has resounded around the world. Strangers have been touched and echoed the compassionate act with gifts amounting to over 700,000 dollars.
Today I read the murderer's wife's response to the Amish acts of compassion:
"The wife of a gunman who killed five girls and injured five others at an Amish school released a statement thanking the Amish and others in the Lancaster County community for their "forgiveness, grace and mercy."...
Marie Roberts says she and her three young children have been overwhelmed by the community support since the Oct. 2 shootings.
"Your love for our family has helped to provide the healing we so desperately need," she wrote. "Gifts you've given have touched our hearts in a way no words can describe. ... Your compassion has reached beyond our family, beyond our community, and is changing our world, and for this we sincerely thank you."
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/15266663/
In my previous blog "Grace In The Face Of Evil" I wrote of how this event, and the Amish response to it, touched my life.
I imagine holding a Domino piece in the pocket of my soul. Somewhere, sometime, I will be presented with the choice of tipping that piece and putting it into play in the compassionate maze the Amish have put in motion.
When I close my eyes I imagine setting my piece into play and watching it softly tip against the next Domino with a "CLICK".
I imagine millions of Domino pieces toppling and snaking around in an intricate maze across the world.
Swirling, tipping, falling...moving.
Can you hear it?

0 comments: