Friday, October 20, 2006

Most Memorable Kiss

It was the Summer of my 18th year.

I was living in Urk, Holland. There was a gorgeous blue eyed, black haired, 18 year old boy ( named Riekelt) who had expressed an interest in going out with me.
He was beautiful to look at, but I was in one of those odd periods of time. I had been dating a boy during my Senior year in High School. He was older and had left for college before I graduated.
We still wrote and talked on the phone from time to time, but distance and the inevitable growing up and apart was creeping on our relationship slowly choking the life from it.

It was a warm evening. Riekelt came by and asked me to go for a walk with him. I agreed.
We walked through the village side by side, the last rays of that days sun bathing things around us in sleepy orange. Sometime between walking the cobblestone streets and sitting on the wood of the Urk fishing docks he had taken my hand into his. I sat beside this beautiful boy and watched fishing boats bob in the North Sea spread out before us. I listened to him speak of growing up on this Island and of his dreams for his future. The sun melted into the horizon and we headed back to the house of the people I was staying with.

He walked me to the back door of the house, then paused. I remember the intense blue of his eyes as he leaned down and gently placed his lips on mine. There was a hum like a purr of electricity. He leaned in closer and I stepped forward and into him. He ran the tip of his tongue along mine in a soft caress then stepped back and broke the kiss.

He smiled a man's smile and traced his finger along the frame of my cheek. I stood completely still and watched him walk away until his frame melded in with the shadows of the evening.

Only then did I remember to breathe.

0 comments: