Friday, October 20, 2006

This Is Why We Don't Eat Our Young

Having spent Wednesday, Thursday and Friday crashed on my sofa trying to rid my body of post surgery pangs and the flu scourge...I decided to take MiniWarrior out Saturday Morning and let him run around at his school playground for a bit.

We stopped at Burger King for lunch. They have the new Star War toys in the kids meals. MiniWarrior had seen the commercial for Burger King toys and had assured me that the world would certainly end if he didn't get his hands on one.

30 minutes, two cheeseburgers, onion rings, fries some orange soda a Burger King Crown and a Anikan Skywalker toy later, we headed out to the school playground.

MiniWarrior peppered me with questions on the drive to the playground. It was hard conversing with him as my throat was sore and the sounds coming out of my mouth resembled more of a hiss then actual words...but that didn't seem to deter MiniWarrior.

I got the usual:

Look at the dark clouds, do you think its going to thunder?
I wish it would thunder, do you like thunder?
Did you have thunder when you were a kid?
How loud was the thunder?
I wish it would thunder and lightening
I love lightening.
Do you like lightening?
How much do you like lightning?
Do you like thunder or lightening more?
How come you like lightening?
What is lightening?
I wish there was a tornado.
How far is a tornado?
Can we drive to a tornado?
How many miles is a tornado?
Like 30 billion 200 zillion miles?

My head throbbed and I hissed at MiniWarrior to STOP with the questions because my throat hurt trying to answer them all. He sat back in his seat with a little sulk, mad at me for ending his favorite game of 3 billion questions.
Silence reigned for all of 20 seconds while he sulked and stared out the car window.

Mom?
Yesss, Son.
I have one more question.
Can I ask one more question?
*sigh* OK . One more.
OK.
Um...
How much do Jedi's weigh?

ARGH!

We (finally) arrived at his school. MiniWarrior sprung out of the car running for the playground equipment. I trailed behind him and plunked down wearily on a metal bench. My head was spinning with dizziness. My throat hurt and I was questioning my sanity of why I had left my sofa nest. I idly watched MiniWarrior run around his breath making little clouds in the cool Fall air. I tugged my coat closer to me and resigned myself to an hour of Mom playground duty.

Two little girls came to the playground and MiniWarrior skipped over to chat with them. Such a social bug he is. I heard smatterings of their conversation. They asked MiniWarrior what grade he was in. If he lived around there. Then I saw one girl point to me and ask him if I was his Mom.

"Yes" He said looking over at me. "She has gold hair. Isn't she pretty?"

Smile.

I'm convinced it's moments just like this that keep us from eating our young.

0 comments: