Friday, October 20, 2006

School Daze

Tomorrow MiniWarrior starts 2nd grade.

His shiny new backpack is filled with fresh school supplies. His "first day of school" clothes are laid out beside his new shoes. We did the "meet the teacher see the new classroom" BBQ last Thursday. His bus schedule has been confirmed...
All preparation has been completed...and I find myself filled with grade school memories.

Kindergarten: The feel of my teachers hand on mine as she pressed my 5 year old hand into white plaster. Playing house in the play kitchen in the "imagination section of the room". Sitting with strange children reciting my ABC's. My mother handing me an umbrella to take with me to school and warning me to "keep its pointed end down when carrying it so I wouldn't poke someones eye out. The feeling of disgust at her admonishment. I was "5". I KNEW how to hold an umbrella. The feeling of embarassment that EVERY day the bus driver would close the door on me-pinning me to the side of the bus-when I attempted to climb up onto the stairs to enter the bus. I was the only child ENTERING the bus. You'd think she would see me?!

First Grade: The teacher drilling us on our ABC's while holding a witch puppet on her hand. The intense boredom...and making up millions of creative excuses to be able to escape and hang out alone in the sick room. The teachers way of controlling us by leaving the room and sitting out in the hall. She would only return once a class envoy was chosen to apologize to her and ask her to return to our room. The question she asked us once, "If you could do anything you wanted what would you do?". Listening to the kids responses of "draw on the walls, eat all the candy they wanted..." while dreaming of running along the trail in the forbidden far track of the school yard that was reserved for 6th graders. Watching the strange look flicker over her face when I shyly spoke of my wish to her. Puzzling as to what that look meant.

Second Grade: Intense dislike of the short squat teacher. Watching her smugly while she slammed a big black paddle onto her desk and screamed at us to try to get us to behave. Sitting inside day after day during recess writing spelling words over and over. Plotting ways to get back at her...
Standing in line for a bathroom break...wrestling with the boys who stole my hair ribbons while waiting in line.
Pee'ing on the TWISTER game because I had to "rrrrrrreally go" but I was winning and refused to quit.

Third Grade: Winning the times table contest. Hounding the teacher day after day so she would hear my times table recitation so I could get my star. The feeling of deflation when the prize was a plastic smiley bag. The satisfied smirks of the other kids that I won a crappy prize. The intense happiness that filled me when my teacher informed me that she was going to send away for an advanced reading/writing course for me that I could work on once my schoolwork was done. Plotting to be finished with ALL school work by recess so the rest of the day was MINE to dream and read and write. The look on my Mother's face when I came home with straight A report cards.

Fourth Grade: The teacher who's mentality matched her name--Ms. Fern. The horrible boredom. Screaming inside myself during Math class. WHY ARE YOU STILL TEACHING US LONG DIVISION??? WE'VE GOT IT ALREADY!! Freaking out when she told us to open our math books to "long division" and (after grabbing the hand of my best friend) running screaming around the room. We made it around 3 times before she snapped out of her shock and grabbed us. Standing outside the Teachers Room in the Gym and listening to my best friend getting swatted for the screaming fest. Feeling angry because I was the one who got in trouble and she was the one being hit. Snarling at my best friend to "STOP CRYING cuz then the TEACHER wins!" when she exited the Teachers room sniffling back tears.

Fifth Grade: Listening to the Teacher read "Where the Red Fern Grows" Sobbing at the death of Dan and Little Anne. Listening to her read us "The Hobbit" and "Trumpet of the Swans". Studying at night with my Mom to remember how to spell government for the next day spelling contest. Actually receiving that word during the contest...and misspelling it. *dammit!* Learning the capitols of the United States. Escaping to the woods outside our class. Hiding from the horrible boredom of school.

Sixth Grade: Smirking at the big brown eyed clog wearing teacher who cried whenever we acted up. Doing everything in my power to make her cry. Inciting the class to rebel--go on strike--refuse her commands--skipping classes. Her bravery at trying to swat me one day (which she was NOT allowed to do to me) over an infraction she thought I had done. My arguing calmly with her telling her, " I didn't do it and she had better not hit me or I'd hit her back". Realizing I was never going to leave that Punishment Room until she hit me with the paddle. Feeling resigned and letting her after repeatedly warning her I would hit her back. Turning and slapping her after she hit me with the paddle. Being dragged to the Principles office to be expelled. Smirking the next day as I sat in class--with my (then guardian) having talked the principle into keeping me in school.

Aah the memories of a "lifetime ago". And now my son begins the filling of his memory book. I wish him happiness and good times with good friends. These are the years that will define him.

0 comments: